Robertson is located in The Heart of Route 62, the longest wine route in the world which stretches all the way from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth. From Cape Town it’s an easy 1.5 hrs drive via Paarl and Worcester.
Robertson Tourist Bureau is situated on Voortrekker Street, which is the R60 between Worcester and Swellendam. From Worcester it’s on the left side, just before the Roodezandt Wine Cellar. Robertson is well known for its beauty, renowned for its wines of connoisseur quality, radiant roses and thoroughbred horses.
Columns of red or yellow cannas and flaming bougainvillea line the roads outside the wine estates, gardens overflow and vineyards are banked with roses, while brilliant mauve jacarandas shade the streets. The Robertson Wine Route is an officially recognised Wine of Origin region and the Cape’s largest wine producing region under irrigation. Orchard upon orchard of decidious fruit, destined for the national and international markets, punctuates the landscape that isn’t covered by vineyards, their blossoms scenting the air in spring and their fruit-laden trees delighting the eye in summer.
National Monuments include the Pink Church (1859), the Museum (1860), the Edwardian No 12 Piet Retief Street (1904), the Victorian No 59 Van Reeneen Street (1914) and the Powder House In 1728 a large tract of land which fell within the very large boundaries of Swellendam district, was let to a Mr. P Joubert. The area soon attracted other migrant farmers who required grazing for their sheep and by 1800 many of them settled permanently on these pieces of land, which they now purchased outright from the Government. The names of the original farms are still much in evidence as districts, eg. Roodezant, Le Chasseur, Retreat, Noree, Goree, Vink Rivier, Willem Nels River, Klaasvoogds, Goudmyn, Vlolikheid and De Hoop.